Thursday, May 9, 2013

You Want Nutritious???? Eat An Apple!!!!

A few days ago I emailed my sister a recipe for lemon pound cake that I had seen circulating all over Facebook.  My sister is a mean baker, so I figured I'd share the recipe with her to add to her repertoire.  (I also did this in hopes that she would bake  it one day.  Soon).

Doesn't this look good?



Because I was too lazy to log into Facebook to find the recipe, I decided to use Google.  I found the recipe on a baking website.  Beforehand I knew the cake was pretty darn rich because the ingredients included: buttermilk, 2 sticks of butter and white chocolate morsels.  Fat...Fat...and more Fat!   However, I wasn't at all prepared for how rich it was.  None of the Facebook posts showed any nutritional information.  There were only pictures of the cake followed by the recipe.  After I saw the calories, I instructed my sister not to look at the nutrition facts tab.  I didn't want her to feel too guilty and decide against making the cake, LOL.  I went on and on about how one could only eat a small portion and that it wasn't very nutritious. Blah, Blah, Blah.


Her response:  If you want nutritious....eat an apple.


*POW*


That simple sentence immediately made a whole lot of sense to me.  For goodness sakes, it's cake.  Why lament about the ingredients and nutrition if you're going to eat it knowing full well it's ....CAKE?  'Most' desserts aren't designed to be healthy.  If you have a health or fitness goal your best bet is to focus on nutritious whole foods.  NOT buttery, sugary concoctions that are going for 500 calories a slice.  YES, 1/12th of that lemon bundt cake registered in at just under 500 calories.  No Bueno.
No matter how you slice it, (no pun intended) cakes, pies and the like aren't on the same playing field as asparagus or broccoli.  Desserts are treats and should be handled as such. 



Gotta love CJ
 There's no sense in browbeating yourself about eating something.  Especially if you know going into it there are better options.  It's up to you what you choose.

What you eat in private will show up in public.
(Don't I know it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment